A comprehensive psycho-educational assessment includes the following:
- 2-hour clinical interview/intake meeting with parents or adult client (conducted by Dr. Bahador and Dr. Daley)
- Review of past assessment reports and report cards.
- Testing administration: (usually divided into 2 or 3 days of testing with breaks; conducted by Dr. Bahador and/or Dr. Daley; testing administration, scoring, analysis and report writing take longer for adolescents and adults).
- Phone consultations with teachers and/or mental health professional(s).
- Scoring and analysis.
- 2-hour parent or client (if adult) feedback meeting (conducted by Dr. Bahador and Dr. Daley).
- Comprehensive written assessment report.
The clinical interview helps identify concerns and determine goals for the assessment. It involves obtaining an extensive developmental, medical, academic, and psycho-social history. The number of hours/days required for testing depends on the age of the patient, the presenting concerns, and the specific goals of the assessment (children usually 8 to 9 hours of testing; adolescents usually 10 to 11 hours of testing, adults usually 12 - 13 hours of testing). Testing involves question and answer tests, paper and pencil tasks, computerized tests, interactive activities, self-report questionnaires and clinical interviews. Dr. Bahador and Dr. Daley work very well with children and adolescents and make the testing process an interesting and engaging experience for them. During the parent (or adult client) feedback session, they explain all of the assessment results (including strengths and challenges and any diagnoses) and provide specific recommendations for interventions and/or academic accommodations (as applicable based on the results). They also address any questions that parents/individuals may have and provide appropriate referrals, as needed.
As a health precaution related to COVID-19, everyone is required to wear a mask at all times during the testing process. Parent, student and all household members need to be 100% symptom free for two weeks prior to the testing and on the day of testing for the student to be tested. Even with masks the testing process has been consistently smooth - kids and teens still enjoy it!